(Montevideo, MN) – An electrical issue was the apparent cause of the weekend fire that destroyed a Montevideo church.

Late Sunday evening at around 9:30 Chippewa County Dispatchers received a call reporting a fire at the Montevideo Baptist Church. Upon arrival, authorities found the interior of the church completely engulfed in flames.

(Additional photo credit: Lamar Whittemore)

Pastor Brent Winter, who lives next door to the church, said his wife first alerted him to the smell of smoke and upon looking out his window he saw flames inside the building. Pastor Winter says the cause has been determined to be an electrical fire that originated on the upper floor of the church. The building has since been condemned and will need to be demolished.

The church still plans to have a drive-up service at 2pm this Sunday.